06 December 2011

car track blanket-diy

I actually got this idea from my sister who said she was going to make one for her son for Christmas as well (thanks Stacy!). It actually was waaaaay easier than I thought it would be and could easily be done in a day depending on how simple or complex you make the tracks. I stretched this out within a couple weeks but being a beginner sewer it was perfect for me. The hardest part was sewing on the circles and maneuvering the blanket around the machine. 
But overall...super easy and really fun to make!

I've wanted to buy the rug version of these but doing it as a "blanket" is nice because it easier to store.

Supplies:
1 1/2 to 2 yards of fleece (I actually had this fleece laying around the house and happy I used it instead of green felt because its softer and was easier to sew on)
Loads of different colors of felt. I bought the black off the roll and then got every other color just in the 8X10 sheets. Felt is so cheap, I love it.






I pretty much just eye-balled everything, pinned it down pieces at a time and then sewed it on. Looking back I probably would have hot-glued a few things down and then sewed it on. I did the track about 2 and half inches wide and included a pond, trees, houses, clouds and a sun, a cave, a stream, and parking lot. I kept it really simple and think my son will love it for Christmas. He saw it once and ran and got the cars immediately! I hope it forgets about it by then....
All together I think this cost me under or about $10.

Easy Peasy!!!

1 comment:

  1. That turned out so cute. You're better then me, haven't even got the fabric yet for mine. But it's good to get an idea of what it'll look like. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete