02 December 2010

Yuletide Tea Towel


Another quick and easy gift idea for the holidays. 
My friend just celebrated a birthday, so I made this for her. I got the idea from Little Birdie Secrets, but put my own twist on it of course.


This was a great way to use some of my quilting scraps. I used Heat n' Bond and roughly traced out the shapes I wanted. Make sure you keep your iron on long enough and hot enough for the stuff to stick... Better yet, just follow the instructions that come with it. :)

You could do any shape you want. I kept it simple, so the stitching was easier. You could print out some clip art for ideas if you're nervous about free handing something. You could even trace a holiday cookie cutter.


Instead of using ribbon at the bottom, I used more of my scraps to make a gathered strip. (Mine was 2")  It took some time, but was easy. I just made a long gathering stitch down the middle of the strip. Then I pulled one of my strings I just sewed and gathered it until the length matched the length of my towel.


I pinned the strip along the bottom of the towel, and sewed edges into place. This doesn't have to be perfect. I liked the frayed imperfect look.


I finished by sewing around my trees and adding some cute snowflake buttons I found at Wal-Mart.  

Booyah. 
One more holiday project off my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment